Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cooking day 2 and Tuesday Tip

I'm making another change -- instead of doing the carrots today, I'll do them tomorrow, post-CSA pickup (where I will get carrots).  Logical, right?

Today's recipe comes from a site I signed up for called The Fresh 20. There was a groupon for it a little while ago (groupons are gonna be the death of me, clearly), and I thought, eh, why not.  The site gives you 5 new recipes each week, along with step-by-step instructions and an organized shopping list.  Each meal is meant for about 4, which is perfect for us -- dinner and lunch the next day!  I signed up for the vegetarian version, of course, but there's also classic and gluten-free.  I haven't decided to cook an entire week of their recipes yet, but I may do that one of the next April weeks -- thus far, I've just picked out a bunch that I like and will try several of them for mushroom week.

Anyways, before I get to the recipe for today, have a Tuesday Tip. :)  We've been trying to figure out how to eat more salad and more fruit (though not necessarily together).  Having greens in the house doesn't always help -- we just don't do anything with them.  Some fruit is easier, such as apples (for me) or blueberries (for Mu).  For whatever reason, though, most other things fall by the wayside.  In experimenting, we've discovered a few things.  One, single-size portions help.  Two, variety really helps.  This is a little counter-intuitive -- if we have trouble going through a thing of berries, say, why would I get berries and mangos?  But actually, the variety, in combination with packing, gets us to eat more fruit!  Last night, for example, I packed a bunch of tupperwares with a few mango slices, a handful of raspberries, and a few strawberries -- and we've already started eating them.  Similarly, a salad with smaller amounts of more ingredients makes us eat salad.  Oh, and having small tupperwares of dressing to take along is great, too.  That way, the greens don't get soggy, and I also don't have to eat an undressed salad.  The only downside to this strategy is that it uses a large amount of tupperwares, but that's a minor issue to have.
Salad and fruit and dressing!

And with that, on to the recipe for today.  As I mentioned, this was from the Fresh 20 website.

Mushroom Pearl Barley Risotto
Ingredients
2 portobellos
1 cup dry pearl barley
1/4 cup dry white wine
4 cups veggie stock
1-2 cups water, if needed later
1/4 cup grated parmesan (I used more, probably about half a cup)
salt and pepper
thyme (I used pasta sprinkle, which has thyme and garlic and basil and oregano)
olive oil

Dice the portobellos.  They'll look pretty big, but they cook down a lot.  The recipe didn't say to remove the gills, so I didn't, but in retrospect, I probably should've.  It was nevertheless fine.  Saute the mushrooms in olive oil for 2-3 minutes, then add the barley and salt and thyme.  Saute for another 1-2 minutes.  Stir in the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid evaporates.  Stir in the stock in 1-cup increment, cooking until each batch evaporates.  If the barley still isn't cooked through when the stock is done, add water (I ended up adding about 1.5 more cups).  Once barley is ready, fold in parmesan and season with black pepper.

Recipe summary
Time: 1.5 hours, almost all hands-on.  Despite what the Fresh 20 thinks, this really isn't a weeknight recipe.  This made me kind of unhappy.
Serves: Theoretically, 4.  I think it'll be about 5 or 6 servings for us, though.
Oops, smear on the plate
Highlights/thoughts: I should've known that risotto takes a long time, but the recipe didn't have a time estimate, and given that it was meant to be a weeknight recipe, I was surprised at how long it took.  Also, the suggestion is to serve it with carrots, which would help the presentation -- it's very brown otherwise.  However, I can't imagine this serving 4 with a side!  I'm going to have to reconsider following their recipes exactly, since it looks like their portions are huge.  Also, watch the salt on this one.  My stock (which wasn't homemade) was pretty salty, and as it cooked down, I realized I should've added less salt at the beginning.
Would I make this again? Probably, or at least some variation of it.  It was really very easy, if long, and tastes creamy and rich without actually being too much so.

4 comments:

  1. I've tried cooking with barley before, but only in soup (where it boils for at least an hour) or pre-soaked, and even then it takes a while. If you want a faster risotto, use Arborio rice. TJ's has it and I like their box recipe just fine.

    As for the salt, I'm surprised that they would have you add it in the beginning. Most recipes (especially where one is using stock) call for it at the end, to taste, precisely to prevent the over-salting thing.

    I think those issues you eventually figure out with experience, but it is slightly annoying that a recipe website one must pay for would make these kind of mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, I definitely want to do risotto again and it would be nice to have it take less time. Except now I have a bunch of barley left over...I guess I stick it into a soup.

      I haven't gotten a good impression of this site at this point. It's unfortunate. I mean, I don't mind paying for recipes -- I do that with cookbooks, anyways. But when I do, I expect the recipes to be accurate and make sense! Not impressed. To be fair, I've only tried the one recipe so far, so maybe this was a fluke.

      Delete
  2. I have a recipe for a barley mushroom casserole that has a similar set of ingredients. The difference is that after sauteing the mushrooms (and onions, in my recipe), you put them in a casserole dish with the barley and stock and let it bake for an hour. The cooking time is still on the long side, but now it's mostly hands-off. I can send you the actual recipe if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love your recipe! Having the cooking time become hands-off would be such an improvement! I feel like it would become a reasonable weeknight recipe, then -- I'd have time to get other stuff done while it cooked.

      Delete