Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cooking, recipe 8 (radishes!)

So, no molecular gastronomy today -- one of the ingredients was tomatoes, but I completely forgot about that and ate the last one!  So, I'll get some tomatoes either tomorrow or Saturday, but in the meantime, I decided to make a CSA-recommended super-quick side dish -- hot buttered radishes.

Hot Buttered Radishes
Ingredients
1 bunch of radishes, with their greens
1-2 tablespoons of butter
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice from half a lemon (optional, but the greens are bitter and lemon does wonders!)

Clean and trim the radishes, separating them from the greens and slicing them in half.  Heat up the butter (the more you use, the tastier and the fattier it is). Once the butter is hot, put in radishes and greens, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes, 'till the greens are wilted.  Add some lemon juice if using and cook another minute.  Serve with some main -- we had burgers (meat for me, veg for Mu).

Recipe summary
Time: 10 minutes total, including cleaning!
Serves: 2-4, depending on what you're serving it with and how large the radish bunch is
Highlights/thoughts: I love how quick and easy this was!  Pretty much no effort on my part.  Mu helped me clean the radishes, which cut the time from 10 minutes to about 7. The only thing is that the radish greens were massively bitter.  The lemon helped, but they were still a bit bitter even after that.
Would I make this again? Definitely, it's such a no-brainer side dish!
  


No comments:

Post a Comment