Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cooking, recipe 16

This will be a short post, because I'm busy finishing my dissertation proposal, and we've had a very long day.  I did cook, though, so I wanted to post about it.  Oh, and it's becoming clear that the link dump won't be so regular after all.  Oops.  Maybe I'll be better about it when my schedule slows down.
The turmeric made it pretty!
So, today I made saag paneer, finally!  I used this recipe, which I found ages ago and hadn't gotten around to trying.  I won't re-write it here, but I'll tell you the changes I made.  I had less spinach than it called for, and what I should've done is adjusted accordingly, but I...kinda forgot.  So, what we got was less spinach and more onion, but it still tasted yummy.  I also didn't grind my own spices, nor did I have everything she suggests.  Instead, I made a mix of red pepper flakes, ground cumin, ground coriander, tumeric, and garam masala.  It seemed to work.  The paneer worked really well.  It got a nice brown layer after I fried it a bit, and it retained both moisture and texture.  I will definitely make it again and try other recipes with it.  It has been pointed out to me that paneer is essentially cottage cheese (which I don't much like), but the difference is that the former is made from whole milk and the latter from buttermilk, which is quite a difference in flavor.  So, I suppose you can make saag paneer with cottage cheese, but I don't think I would. :)

As for this recipe, I would like to try it again, this time with more spinach!  It was quite quick and easy, and somehow very rewarding to have made something Indian-ish.  Oh, and my version serves about 4.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Indian Food Network welcomes all expert chiefs to show their talents. Would love to see your recepie again. India food network cooking channel

    ReplyDelete