Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mug Cake!

Ok, so I've been talking about this for a while now and it's time to share the recipe.  That's right, it's the infamous mug cake (insert evil laugh here?)!  I'm reproducing this recipe almost verbatim from the 3rd issue of Lucky Peach magazine, which I've been enjoying greatly.  They've adapted the recipe from a number of previous recipes, apparently.  Here it is, and then I'll tell you what I love about this cake.

Two-minute chocolate mug cake
Ingredients:
1 egg
3 T milk
3 T neutral oil (I use grapeseed)
3 T flour
4 T sugar
2 T cocoa powder (I love the Dutch cocoa powder from Penzeys, myself)
3 T semi-sweet chocolate chips
small splash vanilla extract (I just noticed that my recipe actually says "spash" instead of "splash")
coffee mug (medium to large works best for me)

Add wet ingredients (including egg) to the mug and mix well.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Add chocolate chips and vanilla and mix some more.  Put your mug into a 1000-watt microwave for 2 minutes.  The cake will rise over the top, but don't be alarmed (this is actually what the recipe says!).  Allow to cool, tip out onto a plate if desired, and eat! Why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world (this, again, is what the recipe actually says)? Because now we are only 2 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!
sorry about the flash

Recipe summary
Time: about 5 minutes total!
Serves: it's meant for 1, but this is seriously rich, so you can easily share.
Highlights/thoughts:Love love love!  It really is that simple, it takes almost no time, and it tastes great, especially if you have good quality chocolate chips.  The cake comes out drier on top and quite moist in the middle, so it's a nice combo of textures.  You do have to make sure you mix the dry ingredients super well to avoid clumps.  The mugs above actually weren't ideal, since they slope inward.  I'd recommend a wide, uniform mug.
Would I make this again? Yes!  We've already made it twice. I first tried it when I was sick and needed something quick and easy, and since then Mu has made it for me when I was cranky and needed a chocolate fix.  I foresee more chocolate cake in the future.

3 comments:

  1. The mug cake is just the ticket to sooth those late night chocolate attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel BorshchenkoApril 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM

    this is exactly what my dad and nicole need, they LOVE chocolate

    ReplyDelete