Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer of self improvement is up and running

I realized after the very first day that detailed daily summaries were gonna get tedious for me and probably for everyone else.  I think I'll do a weekly update instead.  However, updating the blog only once a week seems like too little, so I'm going to think about what kinds of other things I can write about that would tie in to the stuff we're working on without being annoying.  I'll probably bring back the link dump, but not today. :)  For now, have a summary!


Mu's goals:
Fitness: See below
Language: Nothing this week
Dance: Mu went to a dance class taught by Bret and Melissa yesterday!  He had fun and they said he did well.  I'm hoping I can join him in the future, but the timing didn't work out this time.

Elaine's goals:
Fitness: Trapeze, weeee!  I went to my first class yesterday, and while some of it came back ("Just like riding a bike, right?"  "Um...not so much..."), it was tiring and I'm super sore this morning.  I was sore even last night, especially where I got banged up from the trick, and this morning became somewhat miserable.  But it was so much fun!  I got a 10-class card, so I get to do this all summer!
Language: Nothing yet.  Probably won't be able to do this next week, either, but maybe?
Cooking: I made quinoa, does that count?  It's not new, but my mom enjoyed it.
Writing: As predicted, nothing this week.

Mutual goals:
C25K:  We have completed the first week!  The program is 3 runs per week, and we did the 3rd yesterday, all at the 25/5 walk/jog split.  The last time was slightly better than the 1st and 2nd, so I suppose it's getting better, but it's still rough.  We're happy to be doing it together, though -- I don't think we'd motivate ourselves on our own.  Next week will be hard, since we'll be apart for 2 of the runs, and we're moving to 24/6, so it'll be slightly harder.  We'll also have to figure out where to run to be on a better surface -- asphalt and concrete are both hard on shins and joints.
Sleep: Well, we've been getting up at 8, so that's something.  I haven't been getting to bed by midnight, so I've napped a little during the day, but that seems to be working OK.  Mu has been going to bed early and waking up too early, not sure what's up there.
Food: So...sort of.  We've been eating fewer snacks...
Activities: Several friend outings, yay!  And now, I'm in the airport, waiting for my flight to Boston for the SLEEP conference, so there will be more friend socializing for me!  Mu is staying here, but he'll probably hang out with family and friends over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment